Sunday 7 June 2015

Trip to Sandringham

Yesterday I had a lovely afternoon trip to Sandringham Estate with the M.E./CFS group I joined a few months ago, Elevate. Sandringham Estate is one of the Queen's many homes around the country, and is where Prince William and Kate are living with their babies.



As with the very nature of having M.E/CFS you don;t know how you are going to be on a certain day, and it turned out that a lot of people couldn't make it but in the end 6 or 7 of us ended up turning up. We all met up between 2 and 3 at the visitors centre and sat and chatted and had something to eat before going on a very slow wander through the woods. We had decided on doing the blue trail which was a mile long, but we think that we accidentally took a short cut and missed out half the trail- which was probably a good thing with a group such as us!. 

I got home at about 6 that evening and was exhausted! I managed to eat most of my dinner that mum had made but by 8.30 I was upstairs lying down in bed, unable to keep sat up and downstairs any longer. I only laid down for about an hour and felt so much better because of it. Until now, I haven't gone to lie down in bed to rest during the day as I was always told that that kind of behaviour was bad, especially for someone with mental health problems and could lead to staying in bed all day etc. But I am amazed at how quickly I felt a little better just by lying down flat. I had a documentary programme on my tablet playing, but wasn't watching it- I also suffer from tinnitus so I cannot stand silence- it's just so much louder! I've decided to try this out and do more activity, like do a 20 minute walk and then following that go lie down in bed for 20 minutes and compare to how I am normally after that kind of activity. I'm hoping that this will help me to do more.



Today I woke feeling not too bad, which was a nice surprise. I had a wierd headache that wasn't a headache and spent most of today wearing one of those migraine cold gel stripes and was very stiff and achey in my joints- especially my knees. Last night when I went to bed I had very cold, achey bones in my left leg that felt like my bones were made of ice- I've had these types of pains on and off since I was a teenager. Then I was told that they were just growing pains- I'm 26 now and since developing CFS I've got them more and more and much worse- I don't think that they are growing pains mr Doctor. I can normally ignore it during the day but at night when you are trying to sleep its a burning pain that is all you can focus on, luckily it appears paracetamol is enough to take the edge off to fall asleep! The worst thing today has been the trouble I've been having changing levels, like getting up from sitting down. This has taken a lot of preparation and time to do so, but once I'm up I'm normally not too bad, slow and stiff but able to make it to the bathroom, or to the kitchen or even up the stairs and back to my room with a little help of the walls to keep my balance. 



Hopefully this next week goes well as well. I'm hoping to get the letter from Hellesdon Hospital about the telephone assessment I did two weeks ago and a letter about my enrolment at UK Learning Colleges about my Forensic Psychology diploma I enrolled in after finishing what is hopefully my last course in my Open University History degree. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment