Monday 10 August 2015

Back and Forth Again

The last few weeks here have been a little hectic! Two weeks ago I had an appointment with my GP about my potential Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, my GP agreed that it was most probably that and agreed to refer me to the local M.E/CFS Clinic. A few days after that I got a phonecall from the receptionist at the surgery asking for a urine sample to be dropped off so that the referral can go ahead. One MONSTER of an IBS attack later I managed to finally drop the sample off, and like every other test I've had in the past 18 months assumed that it would come back clear.

The next day I had a rather hurried phone call from the receptionist telling me I had to come in that day for a blood test, so I walk on down to the doctors and found out that I had high levels of glucose in my urine sample as well as high levels of microscopic blood in there too. I had a whole load of blood tests down, 5 vials taken out of my arm and then I was told they would be back on Monday so I had an anxious weekend waiting for the test results. I rang on Monday and the results were back but no one had looked at them and so I rang again on Tuesday, where the results were in and my blood glucose levels were borderline so the doctor wanted me to go to the hospital for a fasting glucose blood test, which I booked for last Thursday.

I started to believe that I was actually diabetic and maybe I didn't have M.E. at all. Thursday I went to the hospital and got more blood taken, after which I did an unbelievable stupid thing, where I ate a raspberry muffin and an orange juice. An hour later, when I was in The Range, I started to feel so unwell- very sick, very dizzy, clammy, my heart was racing and I thought I was going to pass out. An anti-emetic, a drink of water and a sit down outside and I started to feel better, but I recovered properly after I ate something other that sugar as we stopped in for a burger at Mcdonalds for lunch.

This morning I called the doctors for the fasting glucose blood tests, and got told they came back normal. I asked if the doctor had left a message for me, but there was nothing. I asked for the GP to call me to discuss this, and he's going to call me Wednesday afternoon. But I was surprised that the doctor wasn't going to want to talk to me about it anyway. So even if my blood tests came back ok, the original urine sample wasn't good and doesn't suggest normal functioning.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that my final blood test came back normal; while being diabetic is horrible at least it's seen to be 'real', it's accepted and there is treatment for it. Unlike M.E/CFS where there still are many, many people who don't believe it exists and thinks that people are wanting to be sick or are just lazy. I'm feeling a bit adrift right now and unsure where to more forward.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, I felt so upset for you reading this as all of the uncertainty and unknowing is so unfair, especially when you're feeling so unwell too! I can't help but get really frustrated with the NHS sometimes. What you said at the end about actually hoping it would be diabetes so that its something that's recognised and understood just rings so true with me as well as I've always found it so frustrating how people try to downplay my fibro and act like 'its not serious' when they havent got the first idea :( I really really hope you're able to get some answers and relief soon lovely lady, I'm always here if you want or need to chat <3
    Lots of love,
    Holly x

    www.thehollydays4.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bittersweet feeling of tests coming back normal... Hoping you get some definitive answers very soon.

    ReplyDelete